A Chair for the Cabin Reveal

I was surprised how easy it was to slipcover our new chair.  I started with removing the legs by pulling the plugs and taking the screws out.  I suppose that this isn’t truly a slipcover because I took the legs off and then screwed them back on through the cover rather than making the cover go around the legs.

IMG_4707water

IMG_4708water

For most of the pieces I took measurements but for the side, I laid the fabric (already washed and dried) on the side of the chair and drew around it.

IMG_4709water

The pieces fit together pretty easily though the top corners were not my finest work.

IMG_4710water

IMG_4711water

With the legs off, it was easier to work on the project with the chair sitting on the top of a little end table.  It put it at a great height and let any excess fabric hang without pooling on the floor.

IMG_4712water

IMG_4713water

I sprayed the legs with white matte spray paint, in between sewing the pieces together and then rubbed on some beeswax to give a silky finish.

IMG_4714water

I added extra interfacing where I knew the screws would go back through.  The back fabric was quite tight but I left the seat slouchy enough to take the strain of sitting on without ripping the fabric where the screws went through.  I stuck pins in the chair to line up the holes in the legs.

IMG_4717water

I had to paint some new plugs as I trashed the ones that were in it while I was prying them out.

IMG_4724water

I don’t know what I was thinking taking photos of the completed chair in the bright sunlight.  Oh well, you get the idea.  I added a band of blue to match some of the quilt fabric and a couple of wood buttons I had on hand for a cute finishing detail.

IMG_4719water

IMG_4720water

IMG_4721water

If I were to do it again, I would make the back more slouchy as well.  I think it would look more intentional that way.  But overall, I love how it turned out!

Tagged on:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *